Teen Council Application, Vashon Island
2019-2020 school year
Through the power of peer education, using accurate, unbiased sexuality education, we will end ignorance, promote tolerance, and improve communication between teens and the important people in their lives.
Who We Are
Teen Council is made up of diverse students from local high schools. We strive to create councils with members who have different beliefs, viewpoints, and backgrounds and work actively to build a group that is anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-homophobic.
No one is expected to already know about sexual health and prevention issues, we join to learn.
What We Do
- We create peer-to-peer dialogue.
- We make presentations on various topics such as HIV and AIDS, harassment, healthy relationships, delaying sex, family communication, multicultural awareness, and more!
- We share sexual health information with our peers.
- We participate in weekly meetings and trainings to increase our knowledge and skills.
- We work to change the world!
Requirements to Be on Teen Council
- Be a 10th-, 11th-, or 12th-grade student during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Be interested in providing accurate sexual health information to your peers.
- Budget your time well and keep up with your academic work.
- Commit to weekly meetings: TBD • Miss some school to make presentations.
- Make Teen Council your extracurricular priority—over work, jobs, clubs, sports, etc. If you are doing more than one other extracurricular activity, ask yourself if you really have the time to commit to this program!
City: Zip code:
Best way to contact you: Phone:
Parent(s)/Guardian(s) name(s) & Contact info:
Grade you are in right now:
Interviewing for Teen Council
If you are selected for an interview, you’ll receive a call with further instructions. Don’t worry; it will be fun!
Please provide the name and contact information of an adult who can be a reference for you. Choose someone who knows you from an educational setting, like a teacher, a school counselor, a coach, a school administrator, or an adult from any other activity that you participate in. This person should not be a parent, guardian or family friend.
Name of reference:
E-mail: Phone number:
Please respond to the following questions/scenarios. We want to know what you think, so please answer honestly.
- Why do you want to be a member of Teen Council? What do you hope to contribute to the group?
- We’d like to learn a bit more about you. Choose one of the following options to express a little bit about who you are or what you are passionate about: Write a brief paragraph, short poem, song, or rap about yourself. All options are equally valued.
- Teen Council is a huge time commitment—we meet after school weekly during the school year. What other things will you be involved in? Include work, sports, music, dance, theatre, clubs, etc.
- Members are expected to make presentations in schools at least once a month. Please explain, in detail, how you plan to prioritize your time and schedule so that you are able to attend all Teen Council weekly meetings as well as monthly school presentations.
- Tell us about a time you helped a friend or peer resolve a question or problem.
Applications must be submitted online, mailed, e-mailed or hand delivered by May 12th 2019.
Thanks for applying and for your interest in peer education!
Return by mail to:
c/o The DOVE Project
P.O. Box 1341
Vashon, WA 98070
Questions? Call our lead Facilitator Tracy McLaren at 206-940-6430